I'm a designer, hacker and lecturer. This is my personal space on the Internet, and I'm in the process of moving my old things here.
Things I do
- I co-founded the Porto chapter of Journalism++, the agency for data-driven storytelling. I work there as a designer and data architect with Sara Moreira and Ana Isabel Carvalho.
- I run the Manufactura Independente design studio along with Ana Isabel Carvalho.
- I am one of the co-editors and designers of Libre Graphics magazine, a publication dedicated to the intersections between free culture and design.
- I help managing the activities of Portugal's first open data collective, Transparência Hackday Portugal.
- I get a kick out of writing code ("create machines with your mind", as Dave Winer put it). Python is my language of choice. In the last decade I wrote (among many others) a tool for drawing with code, a small toolchain for working with fonts, a data portal or an old-school ASCII art image renderer. My GitHub page has most of the public code I wrote.
- I'm an advocate for copyleft culture, libre design and open data, and spent the better part of the last decade incorporating those principles into my practice. I use free software for all my design and code work – yes, it's very possible to be a serious designer and not use Adobe software!
Things I did
- I was a lecturer at the University of Porto -- Faculty of Fine Arts between 2010 and 2014, having planned and taught courses on hardware hacking for artists, introduction to digital tools, intermediate web design, intellectual property and Python coding for designers.
- I developed Lightwriter, a media art piece which was showcased in several places in Europe. I'm redocumenting that work at the moment.
- I've spoken regularly at events related to open data, communication design, typography and free culture.
- I have personal accounts on GitHub and Flickr.
- IRC was very close to me as I grew up, and the late evenings at PTnet are a fond memory. I now lurk as luluganeta on Freenode.
- I'm ricardolafuente on Skype.
- My e-mail address is ricardo at manufacturaindependente dot org. I have others, but they all end up in the same place.
- I'm on Twitter as @rlaf.
- I'm not on Facebook anymore.